About Ravindra Bharati
Ravindra Bharathi has been a prestigious National theatre, constructed on the name of Sri. Rabindranath Tagore , the first Nobel laureate from Asia, to serve the cultural needs of Telugu People. The theatre was commissioned during the centenary celebrations of Sri. Rabindranath Tagore . The foundation stone for the theatre was laid by Dr. B. Gopal Reddy on 23rd March 1960 and Dr. S. Radhakrishnan, the then Vice President of India, declared the open of the theatre on 11th May 1961.
Key features of the Theatre
- Plinth area of the theatre/Building is 2,295 Sq Yards.
- Seating capacity : 1104 seats ( 768 seats in the main auditorium and 336 seats in the balcony
- Stage dimensions: Area of 105′ wide, 48′ deep and 38′ high; Has proscenium opening of 37’X18′ with 42’X30 wooden floor as performing area.
- Well equipped sound reinforcement system with 12 channels for microphones with loud speakers distributed over entire auditorium.
- Set of painted curtains, side-wings with rotatory movement. Counter weight flys for quick change of scenes are also provided
Mini Theater and Conference hall
A mini theater has been constructed on the second floor foyer with accommodation of 100 seats. It has a fully- equipped green room and adequate sound system. The mini stage measures 14.5ft side, 18.5ft.deep and 10.5ft high. The first floor foyer was converted in to an exhibition –cum-conference hall.
- The theater is under the support of the Govt of Telangana
- The Honorable minister culture, Govt of Telangana
- Eminent personalities of culture were appointed in the committee by the govt from time to time.
- In the year 1981 the Govt established Department of Culture and entrusted with the administrative control of Ravindra Bharathi.
- Working with hand in hand, both the Department of Culture and Ravindra Bharathi have served the artistic community of Telugu People and twin cities, making the theater a great center for performing various kinds of arts and cultural programmes.
Renovation of Ravindra Bharathi
- The theater was renovated during the year 2005 for better and modern facilities with a cost of 1.5 Crores.
- M/s. Nagarjuna Constructions Company Ltd has taken up the main renovation work involving along with the many other agencies for Civil, Sound, Electrical, Stage, AC, Seating, Media pit, VIP entrance, VIP room, front elevation etc